PEC started with less than 30 people, in 1965. Today, our staff of more than 340 holds professional engineering licenses in all 50 states. Our work takes us across the nation and around the world to design an increasing variety of projects from highways to hospitals — water towers to wind turbines — stadiums to sidewalks — and everything in between.
THANK YOU for being a part of our journey — without you, our journey would never have been so epic!
- Professional Engineering Consultants (PEC) was created by the merger of three engineering design firms. These three firms combined their capabilities to establish one professional association:
- Hysom and Peugh—mechanical consulting firm
- Hartwell and Baxter—structural engineering firm
- Howard Bridges—electrical engineering firm
- PEC established a civil engineering department.
- Our first office was located on the second floor of the Davidson Building at Laura and Waterman in Wichita.
- PEC acquired the Ediger Engineering Company–municipal engineering firm.
- PEC purchased a new location in Wichita at 1440 E. English.
- Carl Knop became president of PEC.
- By 1970, PEC was offering mechanical, electrical, and structural facilities engineering services and the civil engineering services of transportation, environmental, and land development.
- PEC reached the level of 50 employees.
- The PEC Field Services department was created, which added geotechnical engineering services, inspection and testing to our engineering menu in Wichita.
- Allied Laboratories was formed by PEC.
- PEC began offering air and water balance services.
- PEC reached the level of 70 employees.
- First Client Golf Tournament.
- Allied Laboratories moved to 349 Ida in Wichita in 1979.
- PEC was the first engineering firm in Wichita to purchase an electronic CAD system. PEC purchased the CalComp CAD workstation, which included a server, a pen plotter and a digitizer board. It cost approximately $145,500 for a two workstation system.
- PEC formed an Employees Activities Association.
- PEC reached the level of 100 employees.
- PEC won National Water Environment Federation Public Improvement Award for Wichita Interceptor Insituform Reconstruction of Sanitary Sewer No. 12.
PEC purchased and renovated the former Price Auto Service building at 303 S. Topeka in Wichita, which has served as the PEC headquarters ever since. Before PEC’s ownership, the building was best known for a catastrophic fire in 1947. We’re happy to report that it has now been catastrophe-free for the 30-something years we’ve been here. And we’ve never tried to sell anyone a car.
- PEC celebrated our 25th anniversary.
- PEC reached the level of 150 employees.
- President Carl Knop retired from PEC.
- Dale Maltbie became the president of PEC.
- PEC won the Wichita Chamber Keeper of the Plains Award.
- Allied Laboratories moved to 350 S. Washington.
- PEC’s Don Norton won the National ASHRAE Alternative and Renewable Energy Use Technology Award for Florence Wilson Elementary School.
- PEC celebrated our 30th anniversary.
- PEC reached the level of 200 employees.
- The second-floor addition to our headquarters at 303 S. Topeka in Wichita was completed.
- PEC acquired White Martin and Associates.
- PEC opened offices in Topeka and Lawrence, Kansas. The Topeka office was located at 1236 SW Topeka Blvd.
- PEC began offering mechanical, electrical and structural services from our Lawrence location at 1820 W 6th Street.
- PEC celebrated our 35th anniversary.
- PEC won the Wichita Chamber Over The Years Award.
- PEC opened a new location in Pittsburg, Kansas at 105 W. 7th Street in 2001.
- PEC opened a new location in Tulsa, Oklahoma at 7912 E. 31st Court in 2003.
- Lawrence location moved to 616 Vermont Street in 2004.
- PEC purchased Moody Engineering—mechanical engineering firm in 2004.
- PEC celebrated our 40th anniversary.
- PEC reached the level of 250 employees.
- Pittsburg location moved to 902 S. Broadway in 2005.
- Dale Maltbie named Chairman of the Board in 2008 and retired in 2009.
- Rod Young became President of PEC.
- PEC won 2 National APWA Projects of the Year Awards for Greensburg Electrical Distribution and El Dorado’s Water Reclamation Facility.
- Tulsa location moved to 4150 S. 100th East Avenue in 2009.
- PEC opened a new location in Oklahoma, City, Oklahoma at 10017 S. Pennsylvania Avenue in 2009.
- PEC celebrated our 45th anniversary.
- PEC reached the level of 270 employees.
- Hutchinson RO Water Treatment Center won National ACEC Engineering Excellence Award.
- In 2011, PEC launched its wellness program with a Lunch and Learn on Handling the Holidays.
- Pittsburg location moved to 104 S. Pine in 2012.
- PEC opened a location in Fort Collins, Colorado at 323 W. Drake Road in 2013.
- In 2013, PEC won 2 National APWA Project of the Year awards for the Kiowa County Commons and Fort Scott National Avenue Bridge over Marmaton River Historic Rehabilitation.
- PEC reached the level of 300 employees.
- Fort Collins location moved to 420 Linden Street to become neighbors with the New Belgium Brewing Company in 2016.
- PEC opened Suite 300, an employee fitness + fun center in 2016. The remodeled 300 S. Topeka – the Yingling Chevrolet building in Wichita was site of one of the deadliest fires in Wichita’s history. Four firefighters lost their lives on November 21, 1968. PEC participated in the rededication of the building with the Wichita Fire Department and family members of the lost firemen. A plaque commemorating their sacrifice was unveiled at the ceremony.
- Oklahoma City location moved to 10921 S. Western Avenue in 2017.
- Lawrence location moved to 623 Massachusetts Street in 2017.
- Topeka location moved to 400 S. Kansas Avenue in 2018
- Rod Young named Chairman of the Board
- Joe Surmeier became President of PEC.
- PEC opened eighth office location in Kansas City, Missouri at 1301 Oak Street.
- Derby Warren Riverview Park won National APWA Project of the Year award.
- PEC celebrates our 55th anniversary.
- Wichita 303 S. Topeka Remodel completed.
- Tulsa location moved to 1924 South Utica Avenue in 2020.
- Wichita Suite 310 Remodel completed.
- + More to come…